Skip to main content

Happy 1st Birthday, Little Man!

Dear Jaxson:
Hooray for today! You’re officially ONE! 12 months have come and gone and we sit on the edge of toddlerdom. From the minute, I told your Papa I thought I was pregnant to the day you decided to come four weeks earlier than planned into our world, it has been nothing but a feeling of completion. Papa will admit he didn’t want another baby, but that door in my world had not officially been closed, and when you decided to choose us as your parents, I don’t think either of us could have chosen a better baby boy to complete us.

Much like your sister, you are a unique little guy so full of spunk and happiness. You are so happy, all the time. You do, however, get mad and let us know. I am sure that is the fiery Irish genes in you, but your temper wains and your precious smile returns. You melt hearts wherever you go, whoever you meet. You are sweet, laid back, and composed. You emulate love in the way you cling to me tightly when I get you up in the morning or when you’re sick of playing independently by yourself. You hold tight to my neck and hum softly in my ear, a sign of gratitude for me being there for you. You have a contagious laugh that gets us all smiling and laughing along with you. I love watching you kiss your reflection on the tiles in the kitchen, shout with excitement at the dogs outside, or draw with the chalk on the chalkboard and art table. You have met your milestones at your own pace: Sitting around month 4, army crawling around month 8, pulling yourself up around month 9, and finally full-fledge crawling at month 11.8 (literally, the last week of being an infant). Soon you’ll be experiencing the world by walking around and having us keep up with you. 😊

I don’t know much about raising a boy, but I do know that you have taken over my heart. From the moment, you were placed in my arms, the way you still curl up on your tummy as if you’re seeking out the comfort of my heartbeat, you are the best gift given to me by God. I can say the last quadrant of my heart is full, and you, my dear Jaxson, make it complete.
I love watching you reach your milestones this year, and can’t wait for you to reach more. I have loved watching your bond grow with your sister. She is your secret keeper and the gentle soul that will be there for you when we cannot. She is your caregiver and will help lead you and help you learn. I already see how much you look up to her and love her. I hope you have a lasting friendship that is never severed.

The door is open to the world that waits for you. Discovery, adventure, milestones…It will go by so fast. I will blink and you will be older and different. I do know, though, I am embracing these fleeting moments. In the pictures, I take of what encompasses being a mom and watching you and your sister become independent tiny humans, these daily tokens are etched memories of the hourglass sand, of the abundance of love. Of what makes our life, our little family, whole.

Happy Birthday, sweet Prince. We love you.


Mom and Papa









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the future's not ours to see...

There is so much going on in our world today that is negative. I get irritated with watching the news and seeing such drama the media portrays. I never really paid that much attention to it until I had Madelynne and then everything changed about my perception of the world. It is scary, out there, when all you want to do is shelter and protect your little one. Maybe I am coming to the terms with growing older and realizing that life on this great planet is limited and to make the most of it. Being a SAH mom has really caused me to think and reflect on so many different things. It hasn’t always been sweet, happy thoughts, either. I know a few weeks ago I was really concerned for the end of the world and for my daughter and future generations that have to endure such drastic changes that will continue to occur over time. I find myself getting caught up with questions about my faith and my journey as a Christian and feeling lost and not knowing who to turn to or talk to about such conflict

Just B

In teaching poetry and preparing my kiddos this week for their poetry presentations, we watched a few spoken word poets via pre-selected versions on YouTube. One video that stood out the most was from the 2012 TED talks from spoken word poet, Sarah Kay. The poem is a perfect depiction of having a child and advice that a mother wants to carry on to her daughter...If you have an opportunity, I'd check it out on YouTube and just watch the "If I should have a daughter" or the title of the poem is "B". Sifting through the poem, I extracted a few of my favorite quotes and a few recent pictures of Madelynne to accompany them. Enjoy.  "...Because there’s nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it’s sent away" (Sarah Kay, TED Talks, 2012).  “...Remember, your Mama is a worrier, and your Papa is a warrior, and you are the girl with small hands and big eyes who never stops asking f

Final Summer Adventure: Iceland 2019

Instagram definitely has a way of enticing the hungriest of the wanderers to explore the various bucket list places. Iceland has been one of those for me since I watched an enticing video from a friend and was immediately set on going there. When, how, and what we would do was all under speculation, but once I set it on my vision/prayer board and started planning, the dream became a reality and here we are, in 2019, recapping a family adventure that was well worth the expense. A few notes about our trip before I take you on a picturesque journey of some of our favorite stops. If you’re planning your own Icelandic adventure, do note that gas is not cheap. It is the one thing that put us over budget, and something we didn’t plan enough for. So while cheap flights look appealing, do your research! Food is also equally expensive, however, we did budget for that! We even had a bag left over at the end of our trip, which we happily donated to the Kuku Campers reuse shelf.  Being