Skip to main content

Photography:A Snapshot of Our Existence

Photography has become to me, more than just a hobby. I capture moments of Madelynne's life, that would have been missed or otherwise revisited in just memories. I'm fortunate to be able to hone in on those special moments, even if it takes me 100 pictures to find the best one. I am grateful for what photography does to the human condition and soul, how it opens up the world around us and puts things into perspective.

For instance, I love nature photographs and landscapes. The first link below looks so intently at the microscope, macro images of the very beautiful and intricately designed snowflake. How on earth did the decision in the grand scheme of creation, did the simple snowflake get to be as unique as to show that no two snowflakes are alike. These are blatant reminders of our true existence, midst an array of diverse people, with no real doppelganger out there.

http://www.viralnova.com/snowflakes/

Then, landscape photography is a whole new playing field. It is something I strive to look at and take when we hike deep into the back country of the Wild Olympics. We try to capture those split moments when the rushing water of a creek is slowed down via a shutter speed, to produce that smooth flowing look that many landscape photographers encapsulate. I also cannot get enough of night photography, the moon and stars illuminated over a course of time lapses, highlighting the milky way and the world of galaxies far away.

http://cwexplorationphotography.com/

But what blows my mind are the photographers who capture life. Who capture the moments we tend to turn away from because it hurts. The moments that allow us to see into the depths of the emotion that we all share on this humble earth. These photos in the next few links will catch your breath and make you cry. They will make you reevaluate your very own existence and purpose, and remind you that a photograph captures more than just a moment. It captures memories. Good, bad, ugly, lasting memories. Time capsuled moments defined only by pixels.


http://www.upworthy.com/a-husband-took-these-photos-of-his-wife-and-captured-love-and-loss-beautifully


http://www.viralnova.com/30-awesome-photos/


I love real, raw photography. I love photography that is edgy and definitive.  I stumbled upon Kate Parker's photography by accident and wrote her a lovely note, proclaiming what beautiful work she does. Her photography looks like Norman Rockwell paintings come to life. Her composition and processing leave the viewer pondering the story the scene is setting. Stunning black and whites, composed and cropped backgrounds...just astounding.

http://www.katetparkerphotography.com/#/children/

And finally, the different view of the world through reflections. Cityscape photographer, based out of Seattle, uses reflections to capture moments  we might have walked right by and not even thought twice about. Ever since we came across his shop at Pike's Market, I now find myself looking down at a unique oil pattern on the wet pavement, and wondering what it would look like in a picture.

http://reflectingonseattle.zenfolio.com/

I may never attain the title of "professional" but these photographs and photographers all inspire me to look beyond just the "say cheese" and seek those moments that spotlight a memory, trip up the emotions, squeeze the heart, and wretch the soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the future's not ours to see...

There is so much going on in our world today that is negative. I get irritated with watching the news and seeing such drama the media portrays. I never really paid that much attention to it until I had Madelynne and then everything changed about my perception of the world. It is scary, out there, when all you want to do is shelter and protect your little one. Maybe I am coming to the terms with growing older and realizing that life on this great planet is limited and to make the most of it. Being a SAH mom has really caused me to think and reflect on so many different things. It hasn’t always been sweet, happy thoughts, either. I know a few weeks ago I was really concerned for the end of the world and for my daughter and future generations that have to endure such drastic changes that will continue to occur over time. I find myself getting caught up with questions about my faith and my journey as a Christian and feeling lost and not knowing who to turn to or talk to about such conflict

Just B

In teaching poetry and preparing my kiddos this week for their poetry presentations, we watched a few spoken word poets via pre-selected versions on YouTube. One video that stood out the most was from the 2012 TED talks from spoken word poet, Sarah Kay. The poem is a perfect depiction of having a child and advice that a mother wants to carry on to her daughter...If you have an opportunity, I'd check it out on YouTube and just watch the "If I should have a daughter" or the title of the poem is "B". Sifting through the poem, I extracted a few of my favorite quotes and a few recent pictures of Madelynne to accompany them. Enjoy.  "...Because there’s nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it’s sent away" (Sarah Kay, TED Talks, 2012).  “...Remember, your Mama is a worrier, and your Papa is a warrior, and you are the girl with small hands and big eyes who never stops asking f

The Emerald Isle: The Middle

WICKLOW MOUTAINS AND GLENDALOUGH After our first initial stay in Dublin, we ventured south en route to our vacation rental which was near Cork. I wanted to see Glendalough Valley and the monastic ruins that have been there since the 6 th century. We got our first initial taste of “white knuckle” driving that everyone warned us about. Skinny, one lane roads with either old stone walls bordering each side of the road or overgrown, green foliage…it was a bit insane. Not to mention, the mountain passes were curvy and unforgiving. One local told us that to put the speed sign of 100k right before a bend was like the road was coaxing you, daring you to drive that fast. Many one lane bridges Ireland roads Glendalough was beautiful with historic and old ruins, two beautiful lakes, and expansive hiking trails. Old, Celtic cross tombstones and tight fitting graves dotted the landscape next to the monastery and tower. We saw our first deer here, so we high-fived at spotting wil