Skip to main content

In Like a Lion...

Life is back in full swing and the Schroeder clan is back into routines of daycare and work. So far, the year has been hectic and trying, and we're only in week two. I'm hoping it levels off with some of the craziness. But we shall see.

There are new beginnings on the horizon (and no, sorry to burst the bubble of my readers, but that does not mean A) moving or B) a baby), but that will be disclosed in due time. For now, we are enjoying the restless beginning of fall in the midst of chaos. We've enjoyed the fire pit, home-brews, and picking ripe blackberries (which we made blackberry brandy out of and it is sooo good!); geocaching and a few hikes. It's been a nice few weeks.

Miss Madelynne---I'm every day so amazed by her. She is now in that full-fledged two mindset and she is expressing herself with quite an array of emotion. She is boisterous with her dramatic attitude, which includes the infamous words of "Don't" and "Stop", as if she were a teenager defying their parents. Does this happen already? Her stories are fun to try and decipher. I'm much better at it then Brad. He is always asking me how I can possibly understand anything she says. Sometimes I wonder myself, but somehow I get pretty close. She has received many compliments from her new daycare provider about her kindness and intelligence, and we link that to her eagerness to read and learn. I hope that continues. She also has many friends she talks about at the end of the day, and they are all "My so-and-so." She truly loves her one friend, Aggy, who she takes care of every time she is there, including making sure Aggy has all her needs met. Aggy is one, so this shows her maternal instinct, like she does with her babies, at home. We've recognized that her attention span has become longer, which she has sat through a few Disney movies. I think Brad likes to watch them more than her, because, even when she gets bored and walks away, he wants to finish them. It's quite funny. But she keeps us entertained. She also has a new toy: a trampoline, so she is persistent in wanting us to "Jump, Mama!"

This Saturday I'll be running my first 5K. I'm pretty proud of myself for training and prepping for this. I've always been a part-time runner, but have decided to do this as a way of saying if I can do this, I can do anything. It may be the motivation I need to do my triathlon.

I'm still plugging away on my PhD. That seems to suck me dry the most, but I'm hoping at least 2 more years. Come January, I'm going to powerhouse it back to 2 classes/quarter, so I can get the dissertation piece. I'm ready. I think I will also be tackling my National Boards about the same time, so, albeit time consuming, it'll be worth it in the long run.

Enjoy some pics from the past few weeks. Hopefully I can post in the weeks to come, but may be on a slight hiatus until the end of October.

Until Next Time!
Before the kids arrive...

Hipster in training (no, it is not coffee)

Harbor Seal

Shutter speed fun on our hike 

Sweater(shirt) weather


Mt. Baker at Sunrise

Fungi

Play 



Another morning sunrise pic

tea party

Fresh blackberries

Fuzzy caterpillar 

Jump!


Helping Papa man the fire pit

Homebrew

Cooking dinner

Saturday morning cartoons

Brad's eyes

Sunrise over the Strait

My taste tester



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the future's not ours to see...

There is so much going on in our world today that is negative. I get irritated with watching the news and seeing such drama the media portrays. I never really paid that much attention to it until I had Madelynne and then everything changed about my perception of the world. It is scary, out there, when all you want to do is shelter and protect your little one. Maybe I am coming to the terms with growing older and realizing that life on this great planet is limited and to make the most of it. Being a SAH mom has really caused me to think and reflect on so many different things. It hasn’t always been sweet, happy thoughts, either. I know a few weeks ago I was really concerned for the end of the world and for my daughter and future generations that have to endure such drastic changes that will continue to occur over time. I find myself getting caught up with questions about my faith and my journey as a Christian and feeling lost and not knowing who to turn to or talk to about such conflict

Just B

In teaching poetry and preparing my kiddos this week for their poetry presentations, we watched a few spoken word poets via pre-selected versions on YouTube. One video that stood out the most was from the 2012 TED talks from spoken word poet, Sarah Kay. The poem is a perfect depiction of having a child and advice that a mother wants to carry on to her daughter...If you have an opportunity, I'd check it out on YouTube and just watch the "If I should have a daughter" or the title of the poem is "B". Sifting through the poem, I extracted a few of my favorite quotes and a few recent pictures of Madelynne to accompany them. Enjoy.  "...Because there’s nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it’s sent away" (Sarah Kay, TED Talks, 2012).  “...Remember, your Mama is a worrier, and your Papa is a warrior, and you are the girl with small hands and big eyes who never stops asking f

Final Summer Adventure: Iceland 2019

Instagram definitely has a way of enticing the hungriest of the wanderers to explore the various bucket list places. Iceland has been one of those for me since I watched an enticing video from a friend and was immediately set on going there. When, how, and what we would do was all under speculation, but once I set it on my vision/prayer board and started planning, the dream became a reality and here we are, in 2019, recapping a family adventure that was well worth the expense. A few notes about our trip before I take you on a picturesque journey of some of our favorite stops. If you’re planning your own Icelandic adventure, do note that gas is not cheap. It is the one thing that put us over budget, and something we didn’t plan enough for. So while cheap flights look appealing, do your research! Food is also equally expensive, however, we did budget for that! We even had a bag left over at the end of our trip, which we happily donated to the Kuku Campers reuse shelf.  Being