Skip to main content

Happy 1st Birthday, Madelynne!


 Dear Madelynne:

One year ago you were placed into my arms after enduring 19 hours of labor for you to be brought into our world. Everyone had always told me that you will never know the bond or connection of loving another human being until you have a child and honestly, they were right. The minute I was able to touch your small little fingers and hold your tiny little body close to mine, I will never forget the tremendous amount of love that radiated between you and I. This bond was unbreakable. It was our life line. It was meant to be.

This past year has been an amazing journey that I will not forget. As much as I put off having children, I am so glad that you came into our life when you did. That was something else everyone always said: there is no right time to have kids. And they were mostly right. As much as we thought we had our “plan” all figured out, it wasn’t up to us to begin with.  So your timing was perfect. And we truly are blessed.

I have loved snuggling with you, holding you close until you fall asleep on my chest or in my arms, or when we were both too exhausted to move from the chair. I have loved watching your smiles turn into laughs and the way in which you explore and discover the world around you with such curiousity, that it leaves no room for mistakes. I have loved introducing you to the great outdoors by taking hikes and walks, playing on the beach and in the yard. I have loved singing songs and reading to you all kinds of things. I have enjoyed introducing you to the music your dad and I love and music I hope you one day will love too. I have loved singing In My Life and Better Together to lull you to sleep on nights when you refused to sleep, and still sing those to get you to calm down and stop crying in fits of frustration. I have loved watching you reach milestones: rolling over, smiling, teething, crawling, pulling yourself up, walking.  I have loved seeing your excitement when you begin to piece together our world, like the way the trees glitter in the sunshine and wind or the way you laugh when you watch the dogs play together in the backyard. I have loved watching you be happy, and when you get mad, you get mad. But your personality is quite colorful and it makes you unique. You can definitely see your dad in your eyes and often laid back attitude, but I see myself in you in the way you are stubborn and get flustered, and very dramatic. You are truly an amazing little girl and your dad and I cannot wait to watch you continue to grow up.

Everyone said this year would go by fast; to enjoy every moment. And I have. There isn’t a minute I have not taken time during my prayers to Thank God for you. I ask Him every night to watch over you and continue to grow into a smart, independent, good, compassionate, and kind young lady, who will also be devote to Him. May His angels always be around you and may He always be a part of your life, even if the world opposes this notion. I believe in the power of prayer, because God answered mine while He was creating you. Your dad and I wanted: a beautiful, healthy, happy baby girl. And this year has proven just how much God’s answer has been reflected in the little girl you are becoming.

Thank you for this first year and looking forward to many more to come.


8/15/2011

8/15/2012

















We LOVE you,

Mom and Dad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the future's not ours to see...

There is so much going on in our world today that is negative. I get irritated with watching the news and seeing such drama the media portrays. I never really paid that much attention to it until I had Madelynne and then everything changed about my perception of the world. It is scary, out there, when all you want to do is shelter and protect your little one. Maybe I am coming to the terms with growing older and realizing that life on this great planet is limited and to make the most of it. Being a SAH mom has really caused me to think and reflect on so many different things. It hasn’t always been sweet, happy thoughts, either. I know a few weeks ago I was really concerned for the end of the world and for my daughter and future generations that have to endure such drastic changes that will continue to occur over time. I find myself getting caught up with questions about my faith and my journey as a Christian and feeling lost and not knowing who to turn to or talk to about such conflict

Just B

In teaching poetry and preparing my kiddos this week for their poetry presentations, we watched a few spoken word poets via pre-selected versions on YouTube. One video that stood out the most was from the 2012 TED talks from spoken word poet, Sarah Kay. The poem is a perfect depiction of having a child and advice that a mother wants to carry on to her daughter...If you have an opportunity, I'd check it out on YouTube and just watch the "If I should have a daughter" or the title of the poem is "B". Sifting through the poem, I extracted a few of my favorite quotes and a few recent pictures of Madelynne to accompany them. Enjoy.  "...Because there’s nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it’s sent away" (Sarah Kay, TED Talks, 2012).  “...Remember, your Mama is a worrier, and your Papa is a warrior, and you are the girl with small hands and big eyes who never stops asking f

The Emerald Isle: The Middle

WICKLOW MOUTAINS AND GLENDALOUGH After our first initial stay in Dublin, we ventured south en route to our vacation rental which was near Cork. I wanted to see Glendalough Valley and the monastic ruins that have been there since the 6 th century. We got our first initial taste of “white knuckle” driving that everyone warned us about. Skinny, one lane roads with either old stone walls bordering each side of the road or overgrown, green foliage…it was a bit insane. Not to mention, the mountain passes were curvy and unforgiving. One local told us that to put the speed sign of 100k right before a bend was like the road was coaxing you, daring you to drive that fast. Many one lane bridges Ireland roads Glendalough was beautiful with historic and old ruins, two beautiful lakes, and expansive hiking trails. Old, Celtic cross tombstones and tight fitting graves dotted the landscape next to the monastery and tower. We saw our first deer here, so we high-fived at spotting wil