Skip to main content

Out and About


Out and About

There are many things I truly do love about the Pacific Northwest and our little corner of Washington. The weather is mild and finally, starting to dry out and warm up. Everyone reminds me the best months are August and September, as claimed to be the “dry months”, but there is never a limit of outdoor activities on the Peninsula, and with the temps ranging from mid 50's to the mid 60's right now, we really cannot complain. One of my goals this past year was to make the effort to get outside more. Brad and I have also been looking up trails we can take, that are an easy day trip for the weekends he is off, in which he ended up buying several trail books for the Peninsula. This even prompted me to start a group, called M.O.H.A.W.K.S. (Moms On Hikes, All ages, With KidS), which had the first official outing yesterday. 
Discovery Trail-Morris Creek

Shimmering trees-Madelynne loves to watch these!



















What is noticeably different about the PACNW in comparison to Wyoming/Colorado is the abundance of the old growth forests. They are particularly intriguing to my some-what, overactive imagination. Growing up, some of my favorite books to read were The Little's or The Borrowers, where the author’s envisioned a world where small people shared our world, just on a much smaller scale. I used to be captivated by a selection of fairy tales my parents had bought us, where the illustrators were so vivid in their pictures, that they took the time to create gnomes and dwarfs holding lanterns at the base of tree trunk houses. The images painted a creative world, a whole forest full of creatures that could never be seen by the naked eye. On some of the trails and hikes we take, I am looking at the overgrown, mossy wonderland that encompasses the forest floors, and think about the “little people” who inhabit a world that is unbeknown to the rest of us. Mythical creatures roamed the fortresses of the forests of my imagination, like unicorns, pixies and fairies, rodents of unusual size (Oh, The Princess Bride), ghosts, and maybe even a Goblin King (had to add a Labyrinth reference!).  It was always more exuberant than the realities of running into a mountain lion or a black bear. And sometimes, looking at mossy overhangs on sunken trees or mushroom staircases, you can’t help but wonder what could be possible?

Heart of the Hills trail 

Mushrooms up a trunk

Natural "wreathe" 

Moss, ferns, forest floor...





















 In reality, the forest is always an adventure. From saving banana slugs and salamandar’s from getting squashed, who land themselves in the middle of the trail somehow, to overgrowth, fungi, trickling streams, crystal lakes…the northwest is jammed packed with “evergreen”. Our trails take us into the depths of Olympic National Park, along the coast and Strait, and even in our own backyard.

Banana Slug





Salamander






Nature's Smile

Irony

Mushrooms

Babbling brook


Most of the time Madelynne and I walk in town. We walk along the pier or the Discovery Trail. With the onset of spring, flowers come in full force and bloom. It is the best part of the year for me. I love the floral parade, and they are here year round. Of course, some are seasonal, but our Oriental Lillie's have yet to bloom and our roses are just getting buds. We also love walking along the water's edge. The Discovery Trail wraps downtown and near the harbor, and on out toward Sequim. We often see harbor seals and sea lions, tons of diverse birds and water foul, and bald eagles.
Strait of Juan de Fuca

Cherry Blossoms in bloom-By the harbor

The Olympics

Bridge on a portion of the Discovery Trail

One my fave places to walk

Sunset through the blossoms

Columbines

Hibiscus

Bella (have to walk the dog's separate when I am by myself)

Noelle

Waterfront Trail






























 Despite the misty rain that can be a damper, (lol), it usually doesn’t deter us from getting outside and enjoying a healthy lifestyle. There are countless trails that weave in, out, and around our humble abode. It makes us take into account how vast our world really is and how grateful we are to be able to share such beauty. Like last weekend's hike, when we stopped for lunch, I just loved the solace of sitting in the stillness of the surrounding woods, and the company of my two favorite people. It is really a beautiful little place we get to call home.

Reminder to us how BIG Mother Nature really is

Discovery starts young-even losing a shoe on a hike





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the future's not ours to see...

There is so much going on in our world today that is negative. I get irritated with watching the news and seeing such drama the media portrays. I never really paid that much attention to it until I had Madelynne and then everything changed about my perception of the world. It is scary, out there, when all you want to do is shelter and protect your little one. Maybe I am coming to the terms with growing older and realizing that life on this great planet is limited and to make the most of it. Being a SAH mom has really caused me to think and reflect on so many different things. It hasn’t always been sweet, happy thoughts, either. I know a few weeks ago I was really concerned for the end of the world and for my daughter and future generations that have to endure such drastic changes that will continue to occur over time. I find myself getting caught up with questions about my faith and my journey as a Christian and feeling lost and not knowing who to turn to or talk to about such conflict

Just B

In teaching poetry and preparing my kiddos this week for their poetry presentations, we watched a few spoken word poets via pre-selected versions on YouTube. One video that stood out the most was from the 2012 TED talks from spoken word poet, Sarah Kay. The poem is a perfect depiction of having a child and advice that a mother wants to carry on to her daughter...If you have an opportunity, I'd check it out on YouTube and just watch the "If I should have a daughter" or the title of the poem is "B". Sifting through the poem, I extracted a few of my favorite quotes and a few recent pictures of Madelynne to accompany them. Enjoy.  "...Because there’s nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it’s sent away" (Sarah Kay, TED Talks, 2012).  “...Remember, your Mama is a worrier, and your Papa is a warrior, and you are the girl with small hands and big eyes who never stops asking f

Final Summer Adventure: Iceland 2019

Instagram definitely has a way of enticing the hungriest of the wanderers to explore the various bucket list places. Iceland has been one of those for me since I watched an enticing video from a friend and was immediately set on going there. When, how, and what we would do was all under speculation, but once I set it on my vision/prayer board and started planning, the dream became a reality and here we are, in 2019, recapping a family adventure that was well worth the expense. A few notes about our trip before I take you on a picturesque journey of some of our favorite stops. If you’re planning your own Icelandic adventure, do note that gas is not cheap. It is the one thing that put us over budget, and something we didn’t plan enough for. So while cheap flights look appealing, do your research! Food is also equally expensive, however, we did budget for that! We even had a bag left over at the end of our trip, which we happily donated to the Kuku Campers reuse shelf.  Being