Skip to main content

End of Year Recap

 Gosh, it's been some time since the blog has been updated. I didn't do a Christmas letter this year, either. So here is the news with some fun pics to accompany each section. 

JAXSON

Last year was really rough for little guy. We had a few instances where he was having emotional outbursts at school that then led him to having to stay home. It became rather intense and both Brad and I were at our wits end with what we needed to do. We asked for advice from friends and got some good ideas on how to  help him with his aggression. We also got some not-so-great advice, too. We decided to try therapy and got him diagnosed thru his pediatrician and he is on the ADD/ADHD spectrum. The latter portion of our year has been working on tools such a meditation, breathing, calming spaces, and of course, medicine. He is a completely different little guy than he was back in early April. His meltdowns are extreme because his brain isn't wired like every one else, which he recognizes. So we try to avoid those monster breakdowns before they happen. He did T-ball again in the spring and tried football this past fall, but only made it three games in before he was just not feeling it. He is doing great this year in school, although he likes to rush through his work sometimes. But his teacher is pretty amazing and has been terrific in handling his behavior and ADHD. This diagnosis has really just helped us recognize that it's okay to be aware of and vocal about mental health, and we are doing the very best we can to help him out. We love his hyper focus on things he loves like super heros, wolves, dinosaurs, and anything science related. He is creative, intuitive, fun, intelligent, and super loving. 







MADDY
Maddy entered 6th grade this year and is officially a middle schooler. So far, she likes it. She has been really good at self-managing, especially with her homework. She got her first phone for her 11th birthday through Gabb Wireless, a safe alternative to a typical smart phone. All she has access to is texting and phone calls, and music. It's pretty sweet. We signed a 2 year contract, so if she's ready and proves her responsibility with this phone, she'll get a "real" smart phone when she heads into high school. She loves soccer, still, and their team had a fantastic season, going undefeated. Next year will be harder, as they move up to 11 x 11 and full field. However, these girls are super fun to watch and our soccer family is pretty amazing. She's going to do some indoor this winter. We've tried talking her into basketball, but she isn't interested. She's also gearing up to say bon voyage to her bestie Audrianna, whose family will be moving to Texas (they're a Coast Guard family). Her big, open heart makes her pretty stellar and she is extremely inclusive, which I love about her, too. 





BRAD AND I
Brad and I have been steadily working and providing for our family. He has new owners for the company he works for, so that has been a big transition for him. Overall, he still enjoys his job, but it has become a bit more demanding and time consuming, specifically with the on call schedule. Both his co-workers have been out on medical leave, so he has had to pick up the slack. It hasn't been ideal, especially when he is on call, but he manages. As long as he enjoys his job, that is all that matters. 

I am in year 18 of teaching and am teaching all language arts this year, no Yearbook, which is such a great change. I am pretty much ready to pass that torch on to someone new, so I am grateful that our art teacher replacement took that position. I have to divvy up my expertise and time with two relatively new teachers (one is completely green and the other has limited experience teaching ELA), since our 7th grade ELA is completely split between 3 of us. This has never been the case before. Lucky me, I have some great students in my 7th ELA class and know they will be an awesome group as 8th graders, as well. Revamping that curriculum has been fun, too, considering the last time I taught 7th was in 2014. 

In other news, I had a hysterectomy on Wednesday. I have been dealing with some debilitating pain in my abdomen and severely worse near menstruation. It was decided, with my history of endometriosis and my newest diagnosis of adenomyosis, a partial hysterectomy where they take only the uterus and leave the tubes and ovaries, was our ultimate decision. I am hoping this really clears up the pain I have been having. The images looked gnarly, for sure, as I have a ton of scar tissue from previous C-sections, and the endometriosis.  It has been awful. Right now I am in recovery mode, trying to just manage the pain, walk around, and rest to the best of my ability. 

On brighter news, I did start my own business. Have had a few bites, but no set clientele yet. I am being patient and even got a bit brave and gave my business cards to the maternity ward at the hospital, since I stayed overnight there. Worth a shot, right? You can check out my business website here: M Schroeder Photography

Fur Babies
Our biggest emotional news this past year has been the loss of our three old timer pets: Bella, Noelle, and Goober. We lost Noelle to cancer in August, and Bella 3 short weeks after that to a grand mal seizure. Goober we put to sleep about 4 weeks ago due to kidney failure. It has been rough, but particularly tough for Jaxson, who adored Noelle. Right now is not great timing for another pet: we still have two cats and love the ability to just leave without having to worry about the dogs. Maybe someday. 




 Hopefully, 2023 will be a bit less rocky and bumpy. We will see. My goals are set high for some running and triathlon events, traveling in the summer, and who knows what else for our family in the upcoming year. 

So, until next time...Cheers to 2022! Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the future's not ours to see...

There is so much going on in our world today that is negative. I get irritated with watching the news and seeing such drama the media portrays. I never really paid that much attention to it until I had Madelynne and then everything changed about my perception of the world. It is scary, out there, when all you want to do is shelter and protect your little one. Maybe I am coming to the terms with growing older and realizing that life on this great planet is limited and to make the most of it. Being a SAH mom has really caused me to think and reflect on so many different things. It hasn’t always been sweet, happy thoughts, either. I know a few weeks ago I was really concerned for the end of the world and for my daughter and future generations that have to endure such drastic changes that will continue to occur over time. I find myself getting caught up with questions about my faith and my journey as a Christian and feeling lost and not knowing who to turn to or talk to about such conflict

Just B

In teaching poetry and preparing my kiddos this week for their poetry presentations, we watched a few spoken word poets via pre-selected versions on YouTube. One video that stood out the most was from the 2012 TED talks from spoken word poet, Sarah Kay. The poem is a perfect depiction of having a child and advice that a mother wants to carry on to her daughter...If you have an opportunity, I'd check it out on YouTube and just watch the "If I should have a daughter" or the title of the poem is "B". Sifting through the poem, I extracted a few of my favorite quotes and a few recent pictures of Madelynne to accompany them. Enjoy.  "...Because there’s nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it’s sent away" (Sarah Kay, TED Talks, 2012).  “...Remember, your Mama is a worrier, and your Papa is a warrior, and you are the girl with small hands and big eyes who never stops asking f

The Emerald Isle: The Middle

WICKLOW MOUTAINS AND GLENDALOUGH After our first initial stay in Dublin, we ventured south en route to our vacation rental which was near Cork. I wanted to see Glendalough Valley and the monastic ruins that have been there since the 6 th century. We got our first initial taste of “white knuckle” driving that everyone warned us about. Skinny, one lane roads with either old stone walls bordering each side of the road or overgrown, green foliage…it was a bit insane. Not to mention, the mountain passes were curvy and unforgiving. One local told us that to put the speed sign of 100k right before a bend was like the road was coaxing you, daring you to drive that fast. Many one lane bridges Ireland roads Glendalough was beautiful with historic and old ruins, two beautiful lakes, and expansive hiking trails. Old, Celtic cross tombstones and tight fitting graves dotted the landscape next to the monastery and tower. We saw our first deer here, so we high-fived at spotting wil