Skip to main content

A Year in Review

Isn't it funny how you sometimes want to forget a chapter in your life because it was not great, or was just not "blog worthy." However, that is only partially the case for my long, extensive non-blog posts. Mainly, I have been too busy and forgetful in my postings, so that is my excuse. This post will cover highlights from the past year. Bear with me! :)


Back to school

Last year the kids were in 4th and Pre K. They are fortunate to attend a small, private school, because they were in person all year. No hybrid or virtual learning. It really was a positive experience for them and I am so grateful they were able to be with their peers and enjoy the year. Maddy made gains in reading and math and Jax continued to grow, and learn. He is so smart and is kindergarten ready!














Finishing our hiking challenge

We made a resolution at the start of 2020 to do one hike a month, so we kept our promise and hiked and camped quite a lot last year. We hiked PJ Lakes in August,  Lake Angeles in September, then Brad and I took a hiking vacation to the Cascades to seek out the infamous larch in October. Our November and December hikes were at Staircase and then Lake Quinault, during a winter camping trip to the coast. Here are some of my fave pics from those adventures.














Snow 
We got a decent snowstorm some time in February and enjoyed playing, sledding, and creating in the snow. We also did one snowshoe trek to Hurricane Ridge. 









Spring!
Things started to get back to somewhat normal as spring rolled around. Jaxson joined T Ball and Maddy did rec soccer. Jaxson had an awesome 5th birthday with a trek to the Tacoma Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium. We remained busy with soccer and T-Ball practices and weekly games. Then, Brad and I both turned 40 May and June, respectively, so we threw a birthday bash which was a fun, success. :) Finally, I competed in my very first Triathlon the day after my 40th birthday. I was so glad to have accomplished such an amazing feat. I have big goals for future competitions and have a marathon at the end of September I am competing in that was postponed from last fall. Fun!
















































After the race, showing off my "award". 

Summer Begins

We finished the end of the school year in mid-June and looked forward to fun summer plans, for once, which kept us motivated. We finally were able to meet up with our friends for pizza and beer at a local restaurant, which felt like ions ago being able to do such a thing. Jax graduated from Pre-K and is moving onto kindergarten. Maddy tried out for elite soccer and is kicking soccer butt: she is really good! And that topped off our year!


My 9A cohort 

The BEST coworkers a girl could ask for.

My best running buddies. :)

Maddy with her buds Kyndel and Violet

Jax graduating Pre K

Until next time!




 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the future's not ours to see...

There is so much going on in our world today that is negative. I get irritated with watching the news and seeing such drama the media portrays. I never really paid that much attention to it until I had Madelynne and then everything changed about my perception of the world. It is scary, out there, when all you want to do is shelter and protect your little one. Maybe I am coming to the terms with growing older and realizing that life on this great planet is limited and to make the most of it. Being a SAH mom has really caused me to think and reflect on so many different things. It hasn’t always been sweet, happy thoughts, either. I know a few weeks ago I was really concerned for the end of the world and for my daughter and future generations that have to endure such drastic changes that will continue to occur over time. I find myself getting caught up with questions about my faith and my journey as a Christian and feeling lost and not knowing who to turn to or talk to about such conflict

Just B

In teaching poetry and preparing my kiddos this week for their poetry presentations, we watched a few spoken word poets via pre-selected versions on YouTube. One video that stood out the most was from the 2012 TED talks from spoken word poet, Sarah Kay. The poem is a perfect depiction of having a child and advice that a mother wants to carry on to her daughter...If you have an opportunity, I'd check it out on YouTube and just watch the "If I should have a daughter" or the title of the poem is "B". Sifting through the poem, I extracted a few of my favorite quotes and a few recent pictures of Madelynne to accompany them. Enjoy.  "...Because there’s nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it’s sent away" (Sarah Kay, TED Talks, 2012).  “...Remember, your Mama is a worrier, and your Papa is a warrior, and you are the girl with small hands and big eyes who never stops asking f

The Emerald Isle: The Middle

WICKLOW MOUTAINS AND GLENDALOUGH After our first initial stay in Dublin, we ventured south en route to our vacation rental which was near Cork. I wanted to see Glendalough Valley and the monastic ruins that have been there since the 6 th century. We got our first initial taste of “white knuckle” driving that everyone warned us about. Skinny, one lane roads with either old stone walls bordering each side of the road or overgrown, green foliage…it was a bit insane. Not to mention, the mountain passes were curvy and unforgiving. One local told us that to put the speed sign of 100k right before a bend was like the road was coaxing you, daring you to drive that fast. Many one lane bridges Ireland roads Glendalough was beautiful with historic and old ruins, two beautiful lakes, and expansive hiking trails. Old, Celtic cross tombstones and tight fitting graves dotted the landscape next to the monastery and tower. We saw our first deer here, so we high-fived at spotting wil