Skip to main content

Tip Toeing Through Deception

The timing of blooming tulips is never an easy one to determine. Out on the peninsula, where we live, everything seems to be behind the rest of the state of Washington. I remember when I was pregnant with Madelynne and we had to go to Seattle for a doctor’s appointment and all the cherry blossoms were in bloom over there, but none were really even beginning to blossom here. My co-workers at the time kept saying, “wait until after spring break” and sure enough, it was a full onset of blossoming flowers and trees. I have to say, as much as I have kicked, screamed, complained and cried about the move here, I am beyond blessed that God has really changed my eyes to appreciate and value the beauty of His creation all around me.

Brad and I are adventurous and love to travel the coastline and hike in the Olympics, so I am often very, very thankful for His light leading us to this path. As we were driving on Whidbey Island, I said to Brad, “You know, my soul will always be in Wyoming, but Washington has gradually won over my heart. I really love it here.” Realities are: it’s hard being apart from our families, but we've started our own and sometimes, when it’s just the 3 of us, it is perfect and that is all that matters.

 People can comment on the weather being gloomy and gray and rainy, but who can say they can go camping in April or even December if they really wanted to? Yeah…not a lot of places. I wish, sometimes, Brad and I had encountered the places we had lived in previously, like Florida and Colorado, a bit more intimately than we did, but I am grateful for my spontaneous and adventurous husband who loves to be exposed to the grandeur of the natural world in which we live, and to embrace it as much as we did this weekend.

Now, it was not always positive…Maddy has a cold and so do I, so we were both kind of miserable and she was fussy. I lost my temper, and she is at the start of the terrible two’s…so believe me, life is not a cake walk. It rained in en-route and I was freaking out because I wanted it to be clear, or at least just cloudy. When we tromped around the festival, it was mud central and Maddy was a hellion at times…I have now decided I NEED to invest in galoshes. And cute ones. I kept hearing, in the back of my head, my friend, Steve’s voice, “You only packed one pair of shoes!” and was immediately irritated with myself.  It was windy at our campsite and I said to myself, "I didn't sign up for a weekend in Laramie!". And somehow we always get the spots where people tend to cut through our site to the bathroom, rather than go around. So….yeah…It was a long day.

BUT, on the upside…No rain and breaks in the cloud cover. There were fields upon fields of budding flowers…it was breathtaking. And what an array of people….such an international event. It was so neat to see such great walks of life coming together for a bunch of flowers. J

And Deception Pass…Our campground rocked with a $30 view of the ocean and a built in sound machine of the waves rocking the beach shores all night. We had cold beers, the Rockies game (which they won!) on MLB at Bat playing on our phones, a small bike ride and walk on the beach...so we can’t complain. I think Deception Pass will be another adventure because we want to explore Anacortes and La Conner, but also make a trek to the San Juan Islands and try to see the orca whale pods that inhabit the area over there.

All in all, if I could leave any final thought it is this: enjoy the places you live and take in the smallest things, even if it isn't as perfect as you envisioned. It will always remain a memory and an adventure, and that is something you get to keep with you until the end of time. 













Playing with my light apertures. 


Sunset near our campground

Bowman Bay

Deception Pass

Going into Puget Sound

Another view



I loved the little red or yellow mixed in with another color



Sun Breaks










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the future's not ours to see...

There is so much going on in our world today that is negative. I get irritated with watching the news and seeing such drama the media portrays. I never really paid that much attention to it until I had Madelynne and then everything changed about my perception of the world. It is scary, out there, when all you want to do is shelter and protect your little one. Maybe I am coming to the terms with growing older and realizing that life on this great planet is limited and to make the most of it. Being a SAH mom has really caused me to think and reflect on so many different things. It hasn’t always been sweet, happy thoughts, either. I know a few weeks ago I was really concerned for the end of the world and for my daughter and future generations that have to endure such drastic changes that will continue to occur over time. I find myself getting caught up with questions about my faith and my journey as a Christian and feeling lost and not knowing who to turn to or talk to about such conflict

Just B

In teaching poetry and preparing my kiddos this week for their poetry presentations, we watched a few spoken word poets via pre-selected versions on YouTube. One video that stood out the most was from the 2012 TED talks from spoken word poet, Sarah Kay. The poem is a perfect depiction of having a child and advice that a mother wants to carry on to her daughter...If you have an opportunity, I'd check it out on YouTube and just watch the "If I should have a daughter" or the title of the poem is "B". Sifting through the poem, I extracted a few of my favorite quotes and a few recent pictures of Madelynne to accompany them. Enjoy.  "...Because there’s nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it’s sent away" (Sarah Kay, TED Talks, 2012).  “...Remember, your Mama is a worrier, and your Papa is a warrior, and you are the girl with small hands and big eyes who never stops asking f

The Emerald Isle: The Middle

WICKLOW MOUTAINS AND GLENDALOUGH After our first initial stay in Dublin, we ventured south en route to our vacation rental which was near Cork. I wanted to see Glendalough Valley and the monastic ruins that have been there since the 6 th century. We got our first initial taste of “white knuckle” driving that everyone warned us about. Skinny, one lane roads with either old stone walls bordering each side of the road or overgrown, green foliage…it was a bit insane. Not to mention, the mountain passes were curvy and unforgiving. One local told us that to put the speed sign of 100k right before a bend was like the road was coaxing you, daring you to drive that fast. Many one lane bridges Ireland roads Glendalough was beautiful with historic and old ruins, two beautiful lakes, and expansive hiking trails. Old, Celtic cross tombstones and tight fitting graves dotted the landscape next to the monastery and tower. We saw our first deer here, so we high-fived at spotting wil