Skip to main content

Graces


Madelynne has reached the two month mark and routine has been established within the Schroeder household. At five weeks, I was beginning to second guess myself as a mom, wondering if I would ever get the hang of this. I felt like a juggler trying to balance planning for my college courses I’m teaching, continuously looking for full time work (Wyoming or Colorado would be very nice!!), working on my PhD, and being a mom.  I was awed by the constant give and take that stay at home mom’s deal with every day. It is not easy to stay at home. But it is also not easy to be a professional, working mom, as well. I am lucky to fall somewhere in the middle, yet I realize what a task it has been to find a sense of balance with all that is on my plate.

In the past two months, I have taken away three graces in my time with Madelynne. The first of these is to go with the flow, which ties in with the idea of releasing my control over situations. I hate not knowing what the outcome or future will hold. I am the type of person to have a plan and have control over a situation. I’m organized, punctual and timely. I’m managed and a perfectionist. These qualities existed with me prior to pregnancy, throughout my pregnancy, and I imagined in my head, if I had still had a full time teaching position, they would have transferred to that, as well. But, like I should have been listening to God many, many times before, this whole parenting thing is a “go with the flow” type of ordeal. My days are not mechanical, as they once used to be, and as we gradually settle into a routine, I’m still trying to figure this whole new role out. I’m not accustomed to the whole “housewife” mentality, and although the chores and daily routines were put off to the weekend when I had the time, now they evolve sporadically in allotted time slots throughout the week. For example, a hair appointment strategically set during her naptime so that I can get in and out quickly, while she slumbers in her carrier is the same time frame I can run errands and maybe sneak in a lunch with Brad. But being flexible is definitely an attribute she has added to my life.

Since I should have been listening to God all along, I would have really allowed the adage “Let Go, let God”. However, it took having Madelynne for me to really allow this saying to have full effect on me. She has taught me to let go of the past. The past two years have been nothing but an uphill climb through some serious, tough terrain, and I kept releasing that rope, that kept holding me back from reaching the top, just to stay there and not advance. There, I wrestled with the demons of my past, questioning my place in the world and what I am supposed to be doing, when all along, I have always known. We are all given gifts and a purpose, otherwise our lives would be meaningless, and regardless of our beliefs, I truly don’t feel we were just put on earth to live and die. It doesn’t always make sense, but sometimes things happen for a reason to make us appreciate life and the people around us, just a little more. So finally, despite how much I want control and how I want to know what the future holds Madelynne has graced me with the gift of taking everything day by day and enjoying life for what it’s worth. She’s two months old and she isn’t worried about anything. She coos and awes when she sees our faces and smiles because she knows we love her. She is completely content. I am realizing the faith of a child is so much more powerful than I had ever imagined and can finally really believe that saying, because it will all work out. And so far, it has.

The last thing I’ve learned is patience. I’m teaching part time as an adjunct and my students are testing me. They’re testing me with their talkative nature when I’m trying to instruct (I thought that was supposed to go away once you graduate high school? J ), or testing me with questions on assignments. Maybe they are overwhelmed because it’s a new world for them, or because my course is a hybrid---so elements are both in class and online. But what is funny, as flustered or frustrated I get at the end of class, I never let it get to me and typically let it all go by the time I pick up Madelynne from Dede’s.  I realize that I have a lot more patience than I ever did before in dealing with such benign problems. Most of the problems are correctable, and most of it is a learning process, as I’m trying to teach from a new textbook and create two courses as the quarter advances, as well as grade, plan, and teach, all at the same time. But I’ve realized, by being able to handle a screaming baby who is not getting her way at that very moment to handling young adults, non-traditional students, and teenagers who sometimes act very similar, I am reminded that yes, I can make it through this just fine. And teaching, being in the classroom, is right where I am supposed to be. I am finally happy not overwhelmed or drained or exhausted. I’m content and challenged, and enjoying my part-time, adjunct position that I cannot wait to teach full time again. But a teacher is what I am supposed to be. It is my purpose and why I am here. Despite the short comings I have faced the past two years, there is a perfect job out there for me and right now, the part time gig is perfect enough for my life at this moment.

Becoming a parent has been a new role and I’m adjusting accordingly. I don’t envy those individuals that don’t have to haul their baby in and out of the car or lug around a diaper bag instead of a purse. I like the fact that I get compliments from complete strangers on how sweet my daughter is or from my doctor’s office nurse who made the comment that I’m a complete natural at this whole mom thing. I love my new role and I love the graces that Madelynne has given me. She is a blessing and a very special little person that has many more life lessons she will continue to teach her father and I. 

Out for a walk

Hiking with Mom
Smiling at her moose



Comments

  1. Cute little girl! I am happy for you guys and hope things are going well. Adam is back in school too, and its hard to juggle family, church, work, and school so I feel ya girl and hang in there! Thank goodness for babies... they make life worth living!!! Hope to see you guys someday soon... vacationing in WY anytime soon? :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For the future's not ours to see...

There is so much going on in our world today that is negative. I get irritated with watching the news and seeing such drama the media portrays. I never really paid that much attention to it until I had Madelynne and then everything changed about my perception of the world. It is scary, out there, when all you want to do is shelter and protect your little one. Maybe I am coming to the terms with growing older and realizing that life on this great planet is limited and to make the most of it. Being a SAH mom has really caused me to think and reflect on so many different things. It hasn’t always been sweet, happy thoughts, either. I know a few weeks ago I was really concerned for the end of the world and for my daughter and future generations that have to endure such drastic changes that will continue to occur over time. I find myself getting caught up with questions about my faith and my journey as a Christian and feeling lost and not knowing who to turn to or talk to about such conflict

Just B

In teaching poetry and preparing my kiddos this week for their poetry presentations, we watched a few spoken word poets via pre-selected versions on YouTube. One video that stood out the most was from the 2012 TED talks from spoken word poet, Sarah Kay. The poem is a perfect depiction of having a child and advice that a mother wants to carry on to her daughter...If you have an opportunity, I'd check it out on YouTube and just watch the "If I should have a daughter" or the title of the poem is "B". Sifting through the poem, I extracted a few of my favorite quotes and a few recent pictures of Madelynne to accompany them. Enjoy.  "...Because there’s nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it’s sent away" (Sarah Kay, TED Talks, 2012).  “...Remember, your Mama is a worrier, and your Papa is a warrior, and you are the girl with small hands and big eyes who never stops asking f

Final Summer Adventure: Iceland 2019

Instagram definitely has a way of enticing the hungriest of the wanderers to explore the various bucket list places. Iceland has been one of those for me since I watched an enticing video from a friend and was immediately set on going there. When, how, and what we would do was all under speculation, but once I set it on my vision/prayer board and started planning, the dream became a reality and here we are, in 2019, recapping a family adventure that was well worth the expense. A few notes about our trip before I take you on a picturesque journey of some of our favorite stops. If you’re planning your own Icelandic adventure, do note that gas is not cheap. It is the one thing that put us over budget, and something we didn’t plan enough for. So while cheap flights look appealing, do your research! Food is also equally expensive, however, we did budget for that! We even had a bag left over at the end of our trip, which we happily donated to the Kuku Campers reuse shelf.  Being