Skip to main content

Maritime

We are not out of school until next Friday. The 6th, 7th, and 8th graders get to be part of expeditionary learning experiences and the one I am involved with is Maritime Academy. This is an 8 day curriculum event, where the students take block courses of language arts, social studies, science, math, and art, as well as a mix of boating (longboats), boat building, maritime trade tours, and also experience the simulator of driving a real boat.

Can I just say---wow! I am pretty dang lucky to have gotten the position I did. I A) love my 7th graders and 8th graders; B) have been BLESSED with such beautiful weather all week, I feel NO GUILT for being able to be outside and experience all that I have; and C) What an AWESOME way to end the year.

If you have never been to Port Townsend, it is a unique, small town on the Peninsula. On a beautiful a clear day, as the past 4 days have been, you can see Mt. Baker (Canada), the Cascades, the Olympics, and Mt. Rainier. Every day this week has been light wind, blue skies, sun, and about 70 degrees. It has been incredible. Forewarned that the weather is not always this nice, but thankful that God was smiling on me during my "birthday" week and giving us nice weather, even up through next week.

Here are some pics of what my week has been like. We have 4 more days until the end, so I will include a follow up post with our culminating activities. I tried not to post many pictures of the kid's faces, out of privacy, but this gives you a good idea of what I get to be a part of this week.

Just liked this "line"  dragon

Working on their maps

View from my classroom 

Outside the Martime Center

The Compass Rose

Our ships articles

Getting ready for a relay

Rowing---and yes that's me on the right!

The other long boat out with us

Learning knot tying

One of the boats they are building

He's far away, but that's a seal

Tools from various maritime trades

Sail loft

Pygamy Kayaks (you build these yourself)

Boat shop 

Porpoise
Sails up today!

Lunch break on the beach 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the future's not ours to see...

There is so much going on in our world today that is negative. I get irritated with watching the news and seeing such drama the media portrays. I never really paid that much attention to it until I had Madelynne and then everything changed about my perception of the world. It is scary, out there, when all you want to do is shelter and protect your little one. Maybe I am coming to the terms with growing older and realizing that life on this great planet is limited and to make the most of it. Being a SAH mom has really caused me to think and reflect on so many different things. It hasn’t always been sweet, happy thoughts, either. I know a few weeks ago I was really concerned for the end of the world and for my daughter and future generations that have to endure such drastic changes that will continue to occur over time. I find myself getting caught up with questions about my faith and my journey as a Christian and feeling lost and not knowing who to turn to or talk to about such conflict...

The Beginning of a Journey

I have officially decided to start this blog as it will force me to write regularly, and continue to brainstorm ideas for the summer writing adventure I intend to evoke upon. Besides, my goal was to be a “best-selling author by the time I am 30”, and, well, 30 is here.  Now it’s time to take my writing more seriously. It’s one of those things that I wake up thinking about, in the middle of the day I dream about, and in the evenings, continue to ponder. I blame my lack of writing on writer’s block, which is a lame excuse for any writer out there, but honestly, I think I’m trying too hard to create the best seller and not just write. What I do know is it’s been my dream since junior high and I am not giving up on it. Even if it takes me the next year to polish, rewrite, revise, and be rejected, I intend to make this dream a reality. But I have decided to take two things to heart in regards to my writing. My cousin, Beth, commented once I got my first teaching job in Florida, to “pr...

Spring Break

Adventures always begin in the airport. I have pics of Madelynne enjoying trips and airport discoveries at Jax's age, so my focus this round to Indianapolis to visit Grandma Sue was on Jax's momentous milestone: his last "Free" ride as the lap child.  The waiting game consists of:  Being on our devices while we waste time.  Or checking out the planes parked at the terminals.  Or looking at the planes through spy holes in the seats.  Watching the workers load and unload the plane.   And flying consists of entertainment, sleep, and a few minor meltdowns: Watching Coco Holding my hand at take off.  We got to Indy the day before Easter and Grandma Sue, Aunt Kristie, and cousin Hollie had the eggs and dye ready to be decorated by the kids. Jax wasn't that interested, but Madelynne and Hollie had a blast. Getting ready to dunk hers.  Watching Aunt Kristie prep the cups with dye and vinegar.  ...