Skip to main content

Real Life



Because sometimes we go on long stretches without adventures, or without major events causing us to stop dead in our tracks. Sometimes we are just living our lives, not really thinking about anyone else but our little family. 

That may sound selfish, but it's reality. 

Our little micro-ecosystem, in some regards, revolve just around the four of us. It involves every day routines, emotional roller coasters, exhaustion, laughter, and the slow tugging of the adult in me wanting "time for me" and the adult in me begging and pleading for time to slow down. It's hard, this adulting and parenting gig, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. 


I wouldn't trade over-exhausted tears and inability to fully communicate for anything this world has to offer, because I know shortly after this episode, he will smother me with hugs and kisses, and sweetly say "Mom!" so many times, it makes my heart full. 


I wouldn't trade letting her explore and play with her food, sometimes, because soon she will become a bit jaded and less interested in imaginative and creative things, as all children tend to do.  



I wouldn't trade the piles of dirty dishes for just a few minutes of time spent reading with the littles, playing outside, or creating with the toys and sharing in their imaginations. 


I wouldn't trade watching her be entirely engulfed by technology while I read or play on my phone, for a half hour of "down time" between the two of us. 


I wouldn't trade a steaming cup of tea in the mornings, when everyone else is still asleep, just to enjoy the quiet and peace before the chaos of our day. 


I wouldn't trade seeing him cry and capturing moments like this, because it will be gone soon enough and his tears will be even bigger than hurt feelings because Sis told him no he couldn't play with her toys. And he will need me there to comfort him, like he does now. 



I wouldn't trade these moments, when they still love each other so immensely and fiercely, that I know the dynamics will change as they age. Their love is passionate and sweet. He cares for her, gives her hugs, brings her her things when she asks, and just wants to be anywhere Sis is. She takes him under her wing, helping him learn and explore, as I gradually let go of the little baby he is no more. 


I wouldn't trade this life for anything. To watch them sleep, to watch them be small and loving. To capture our every day.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For the future's not ours to see...

There is so much going on in our world today that is negative. I get irritated with watching the news and seeing such drama the media portrays. I never really paid that much attention to it until I had Madelynne and then everything changed about my perception of the world. It is scary, out there, when all you want to do is shelter and protect your little one. Maybe I am coming to the terms with growing older and realizing that life on this great planet is limited and to make the most of it. Being a SAH mom has really caused me to think and reflect on so many different things. It hasn’t always been sweet, happy thoughts, either. I know a few weeks ago I was really concerned for the end of the world and for my daughter and future generations that have to endure such drastic changes that will continue to occur over time. I find myself getting caught up with questions about my faith and my journey as a Christian and feeling lost and not knowing who to turn to or talk to about such conflict...

The Beginning of a Journey

I have officially decided to start this blog as it will force me to write regularly, and continue to brainstorm ideas for the summer writing adventure I intend to evoke upon. Besides, my goal was to be a “best-selling author by the time I am 30”, and, well, 30 is here.  Now it’s time to take my writing more seriously. It’s one of those things that I wake up thinking about, in the middle of the day I dream about, and in the evenings, continue to ponder. I blame my lack of writing on writer’s block, which is a lame excuse for any writer out there, but honestly, I think I’m trying too hard to create the best seller and not just write. What I do know is it’s been my dream since junior high and I am not giving up on it. Even if it takes me the next year to polish, rewrite, revise, and be rejected, I intend to make this dream a reality. But I have decided to take two things to heart in regards to my writing. My cousin, Beth, commented once I got my first teaching job in Florida, to “pr...

Spring Break

Adventures always begin in the airport. I have pics of Madelynne enjoying trips and airport discoveries at Jax's age, so my focus this round to Indianapolis to visit Grandma Sue was on Jax's momentous milestone: his last "Free" ride as the lap child.  The waiting game consists of:  Being on our devices while we waste time.  Or checking out the planes parked at the terminals.  Or looking at the planes through spy holes in the seats.  Watching the workers load and unload the plane.   And flying consists of entertainment, sleep, and a few minor meltdowns: Watching Coco Holding my hand at take off.  We got to Indy the day before Easter and Grandma Sue, Aunt Kristie, and cousin Hollie had the eggs and dye ready to be decorated by the kids. Jax wasn't that interested, but Madelynne and Hollie had a blast. Getting ready to dunk hers.  Watching Aunt Kristie prep the cups with dye and vinegar.  ...