Skip to main content

"Whale" I needed a mental health day...

Sometime in August I noticed a Facebook post about Whale Watching Tours out of Port Angeles. If you know me very well, the two animals that I believe are my spirit animals, are the whale and the moose, with the cat a close third. :) I immediately notified my friend Nikki and soon enough, we booked our plans and off we were on an adventure of a lifetime.

Island Adventures is a company that offers tours out of Anacortes with a guarantee to see whales. I was hopeful, as I have seen them with my naked eye in La Push, Cape Alava, and Hobuck Beach...but nothing compared to our experience on the 22nd. The tour was not disappointing one bit. In fact, the captain, Scott, the deckhand, Eli, and the naturalist and wildlife photographer, Bart, were fabulous. It was worth the money and time and I already know that we will be returning in the spring with our husband's and kiddos in tow. It was that good.

For me, it felt like I was a kid opening a Christmas gift...they were only a few hundred feet from us. At one point, we were watching two move away from the boat, so I sat on the bow to get a few steady pics of those two when a third surfaced right at the bow, exhaling its "whale snot"...It was breathtaking. I shouted, "Oh my goodness, are you kidding me?!" I feel so fortunate to  have gone on this tour. This is the third time I have been whale watching and each experience is unique and just amazing to see these majestic creatures in the wild. We saw 12 humpbacks that day. Aside from the bow experience being one of my favorites, I also loved observing a calf play with some kelp and seaweed. It was just too cool.

Looking forward to taking another trip when season starts up in the spring/summer of  next year! Here are some pics of my "whale" of a day!

Baby

Baby Humpback


Playing in the seaweed


The tail: White markings show their distinct "fingerprint" and the naturalist could identify the whales we saw by those marks. 

Going under!

Dynamic duo

Tail

Baby playing in the seaweed!

The one that surfaced by the bow!



Those beautiful Olympic Mountains! 


Sea Lions near Race Rocks, Canada

One big boy!

Seaweed stuck as he makes his next dive. 

Sparring 


A submarine!

How biologists "tag" sea lions to study in the wild---nice tattoo, eh?


There she blows!



Our trip into the Salish Sea!
Of course, Bart, the photographer/naturalist on board, writes a blog about the adventures and takes some pretty stellar wildlife photographs on each trip---if you click on the 22nd of October, he has many of the same pics that I did, although his was with a much more awesome lens. Blog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the future's not ours to see...

There is so much going on in our world today that is negative. I get irritated with watching the news and seeing such drama the media portrays. I never really paid that much attention to it until I had Madelynne and then everything changed about my perception of the world. It is scary, out there, when all you want to do is shelter and protect your little one. Maybe I am coming to the terms with growing older and realizing that life on this great planet is limited and to make the most of it. Being a SAH mom has really caused me to think and reflect on so many different things. It hasn’t always been sweet, happy thoughts, either. I know a few weeks ago I was really concerned for the end of the world and for my daughter and future generations that have to endure such drastic changes that will continue to occur over time. I find myself getting caught up with questions about my faith and my journey as a Christian and feeling lost and not knowing who to turn to or talk to about such conflict...

The Beginning of a Journey

I have officially decided to start this blog as it will force me to write regularly, and continue to brainstorm ideas for the summer writing adventure I intend to evoke upon. Besides, my goal was to be a “best-selling author by the time I am 30”, and, well, 30 is here.  Now it’s time to take my writing more seriously. It’s one of those things that I wake up thinking about, in the middle of the day I dream about, and in the evenings, continue to ponder. I blame my lack of writing on writer’s block, which is a lame excuse for any writer out there, but honestly, I think I’m trying too hard to create the best seller and not just write. What I do know is it’s been my dream since junior high and I am not giving up on it. Even if it takes me the next year to polish, rewrite, revise, and be rejected, I intend to make this dream a reality. But I have decided to take two things to heart in regards to my writing. My cousin, Beth, commented once I got my first teaching job in Florida, to “pr...

Spring Break

Adventures always begin in the airport. I have pics of Madelynne enjoying trips and airport discoveries at Jax's age, so my focus this round to Indianapolis to visit Grandma Sue was on Jax's momentous milestone: his last "Free" ride as the lap child.  The waiting game consists of:  Being on our devices while we waste time.  Or checking out the planes parked at the terminals.  Or looking at the planes through spy holes in the seats.  Watching the workers load and unload the plane.   And flying consists of entertainment, sleep, and a few minor meltdowns: Watching Coco Holding my hand at take off.  We got to Indy the day before Easter and Grandma Sue, Aunt Kristie, and cousin Hollie had the eggs and dye ready to be decorated by the kids. Jax wasn't that interested, but Madelynne and Hollie had a blast. Getting ready to dunk hers.  Watching Aunt Kristie prep the cups with dye and vinegar.  ...