Skip to main content

Expeditionary Ed

 Our superintendent has a vision that includes a lot of place-based learning, more specifically, trades based learning, within our community. He was inspired by our Maritime Program for our 7th graders, which I posted on last year. I think our middle school is ahead of the game with this vision, as we integrate place-based learning quite regularly. Our 8th graders this year had several different trips from May through June, which involved the maritime theme from the coast to the Olympics. Here are some of the pics I took from the different trips the kids went on and what being a teacher in Port Townsend is like. 
SOL DUC HOT SPRINGS

Campfire and smores

"Hat of shame"

Testing the water quality

Wildflowers

Twisted ankle

Friends

My favorite girls

Jumping in

Enjoying the last part of the evening

Along the hike

Moss covered trees

Sap covered mushrooms

Posing

Bundled

Skits

Sol Duc Falls


Keeping an injured friend company


These boys

Measuring width of a tree

Calculating the length of this bridge



These boys reenacted the Super Bowl win, dedicated to me. 

Omaha!

Posing on a bridge, my awesome group, during our hike

ADVENTURESS AND BEACH WALK 
From the beach walk


The kiddos went on the Adventuress

Created stepping stones


Did some science testing

And examining under the microscope

Did some reflective writing 


And some social studies, to identify their surroundings and trips
CAMP SEYMOUR: HIGH AND LOW ROPES COURSE
High ropes course

Balance

Team work

Cooperation

Fun



Making sure everyone is helping the people up top


Getting ready to ascend

Foot maze

Collaboration

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the future's not ours to see...

There is so much going on in our world today that is negative. I get irritated with watching the news and seeing such drama the media portrays. I never really paid that much attention to it until I had Madelynne and then everything changed about my perception of the world. It is scary, out there, when all you want to do is shelter and protect your little one. Maybe I am coming to the terms with growing older and realizing that life on this great planet is limited and to make the most of it. Being a SAH mom has really caused me to think and reflect on so many different things. It hasn’t always been sweet, happy thoughts, either. I know a few weeks ago I was really concerned for the end of the world and for my daughter and future generations that have to endure such drastic changes that will continue to occur over time. I find myself getting caught up with questions about my faith and my journey as a Christian and feeling lost and not knowing who to turn to or talk to about such conflict...

The Beginning of a Journey

I have officially decided to start this blog as it will force me to write regularly, and continue to brainstorm ideas for the summer writing adventure I intend to evoke upon. Besides, my goal was to be a “best-selling author by the time I am 30”, and, well, 30 is here.  Now it’s time to take my writing more seriously. It’s one of those things that I wake up thinking about, in the middle of the day I dream about, and in the evenings, continue to ponder. I blame my lack of writing on writer’s block, which is a lame excuse for any writer out there, but honestly, I think I’m trying too hard to create the best seller and not just write. What I do know is it’s been my dream since junior high and I am not giving up on it. Even if it takes me the next year to polish, rewrite, revise, and be rejected, I intend to make this dream a reality. But I have decided to take two things to heart in regards to my writing. My cousin, Beth, commented once I got my first teaching job in Florida, to “pr...

Spring Break

Adventures always begin in the airport. I have pics of Madelynne enjoying trips and airport discoveries at Jax's age, so my focus this round to Indianapolis to visit Grandma Sue was on Jax's momentous milestone: his last "Free" ride as the lap child.  The waiting game consists of:  Being on our devices while we waste time.  Or checking out the planes parked at the terminals.  Or looking at the planes through spy holes in the seats.  Watching the workers load and unload the plane.   And flying consists of entertainment, sleep, and a few minor meltdowns: Watching Coco Holding my hand at take off.  We got to Indy the day before Easter and Grandma Sue, Aunt Kristie, and cousin Hollie had the eggs and dye ready to be decorated by the kids. Jax wasn't that interested, but Madelynne and Hollie had a blast. Getting ready to dunk hers.  Watching Aunt Kristie prep the cups with dye and vinegar.  ...